World Cup 2010 picks!!!

baker.simon
    Admin
    Admin

World Cup 2010 picks!!!

Post by baker.simon on Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:51 pm

Roll up roll up. The World Cup is just around the corner, and from our point of view it would be silly if we didn't do something to add a bit of competitive edge to a tournament that happens only every 4 years.

You all played our Premier League picks game that was staged over the last few weeks of the domestic season, and it appeared to work well. So with that in mind, the decision has been made to roughly follow the same rules we set out for them.

In short, it will work on a points based table, with 1 point being awarded for a correct result, ie a win/draw or loss, with a further 2 points being awarded if you manage to guess the correct score.

As the fixture list is not as condensed as the normal domestic league, both myself and Vic Taylor have decided that we will be putting a weeks worth of World Cup fixtures up at once, which will probably be a maximum of around 20 games each week. This will give everyone an opportunity to get their results in for the full week in advance and will mean that you guys don't necessarily have to check back here every day, at least not until we reach the knockout stages.

For clarity, a week will be classed as running from the Saturday through to the following Friday, with both days being inclusive. The next week will then start on the next Saturday through until the Friday after, and so on. For the first week only, the opening Friday will be counted, whilst on the last week of the tournament, the closing Sunday will also be counted. That means that the dates of each round will be:

Round 1 - Friday 11th June - Friday 18th June

Round 2 - Saturday 19th June - Friday 25th June

Those two rounds will incorporate ALL group games. From then on we will progress round by round after we know who will be contesting who.

Round 3 - Round of 16 games

Round 4 - Quarter-finals

Round 5 - Semi-finals

Round 6 - 3/4 placed play-off, plus the final itself.

Prizes.

Settle down, it's not a real prize. After some discussion about what to do in way of a prize, the decision was made to award the eventual winner with a small winners badge that will be placed on there profile, in full view of all posters in this forum.

PLEASE NOTE - Whilst the table is being updated and the next round of fixtures are being sorted, this thread will be locked and any old comments relating to the resluts from the previous round will be deleted.

I hope this clarifies things, and I will endeavour to get the fixtures up as soon as possible, certainly by the weekend at the very very latest.

Last edited by baker.simon on Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    baker.simon
    Admin
    Admin

Re: World Cup 2010 picks!!!

Post by baker.simon on Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:13 pm

[tr]
    Name R S P
    baker.simon 33 8 52
    FabioMVP 30 8 49
    eldeniro 27 7 43
    Vic Taylor 29 6 43
    Ulrich87 17 3 23
    Acidphire21 17 0 17
    Roykela 8 0 8

This table is correct and includes ALL of round 4.

R = Correct result (win/lose/draw) S = Correct scoreline P = Points total

Last edited by Vic Taylor on Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:42 am; edited 7 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated)
    Vic Taylor
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Vic Taylor on Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:44 am

Well done, Sy, you won. Smile

Did you ever get that trophy thing sorted out? Razz
    baker.simon
    Admin
    Admin

Post by baker.simon on Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:02 pm

Erm nope, but I will Razz

Been fucking manic at work, and it aint getting easier! You want a job Vic? lol!
    Vic Taylor
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Vic Taylor on Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:04 pm

Money!!! Razz
    baker.simon
    Admin
    Admin

Post by baker.simon on Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:06 pm

No, for free lol!
    Vic Taylor
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Vic Taylor on Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:10 pm

Fuck that! Razz
    Fabio MVP

Post by Fabio MVP on Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:44 pm

Congratulations Sy. Smile First trophy of this season goes to you. Very Happy

What are the next plans for Picks? EPL?
    Vic Taylor
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Vic Taylor on Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:03 pm

We could do both the EPL and CL (though not the qualifying rounds)?
    Fabio MVP

Post by Fabio MVP on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:16 pm

Vic Taylor wrote:We could do both the EPL and CL (though not the qualifying rounds)?

Yeah. FA Cup and League Cup? That would count like a trophy just like IRL. Very Happy
    baker.simon
    Admin
    Admin

Post by baker.simon on Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:38 am

I'm thinking PL for definate. Perhaps CL aswell, if people want it? I suppose it could be done with the cups aswell I guess? I'll leave it up to you guys to decide. If you all want to do the whole lot then fair enough, or if you just want to pick one or two competitions and focus on them then that is also fine.

Discuss Wink
    Fabio MVP

Post by Fabio MVP on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:18 pm

baker.simon wrote:I'm thinking PL for definate. Perhaps CL aswell, if people want it? I suppose it could be done with the cups aswell I guess? I'll leave it up to you guys to decide. If you all want to do the whole lot then fair enough, or if you just want to pick one or two competitions and focus on them then that is also fine.

Discuss Wink

I want Community Shield, EPL, European Super Cup, FA Cup, League Cup, World Club Cup and UCL.

Very Happy
    Vic Taylor
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Vic Taylor on Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:30 pm

Fabio MVP wrote:I want Community Shield, EPL, European Super Cup, FA Cup, League Cup, World Club Cup and UCL.

Very Happy
    Sy and I actually have lives... surprisingly. Razz I doubt we'd have time to do all those.

Pick your favourite 2 to add on to EPL and CL?
    baker.simon
    Admin
    Admin

Post by baker.simon on Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:11 pm

Vic Taylor wrote:
    Fabio MVP wrote:I want Community Shield, EPL, European Super Cup, FA Cup, League Cup, World Club Cup and UCL.

Very Happy
    Sy and I actually have lives... surprisingly. Razz I doubt we'd have time to do all those.

Pick your favourite 2 to add on to EPL and CL?

Lives? Speak for yourself. I'm married, I signed that privelage away some time ago Razz

Seriously though. It is doable, Vic. The easy thing about the league is that the fixtures are set weeks in advance, as are the cup competitons, and the fixtures aren't as congested, which makes it easier to setup and leave. Effectively it could be done every week and left until the end if that week.

Champs League is the same, and the cups.

So for definate, we'll do EPL and CL. I would say League Cup aswell as the FA Cup doesn't eally start properly until after christmas, and I'm fucked if am writing or guessing how VS Rugby will do against Spalding Athletic Razz

Not fussed either way, but we could take our own little puppies away. So you do a and b and I do c and etc? Thoughts Wink
    Fabio MVP

Post by Fabio MVP on Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:33 pm

I agree guys. It's EPL and UCL. If I'm to pick two more, let it be FA Cup and League Cup.

Cheers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 27, 2018 12:26 pm